Monday, April 16, 2007

I don't like Mondays....


I woke up this morning and could just feel it was going to be one of those days. for some reason or another, I couldn't sleep. I heard the house creak around 3 am and in my haze of insomniac paranoia, I thought it was a burglar. I thought to myself, if some guy broke into the house with a gun and came into my room, I'd have no where to go. That'd just be it for me. At this morose thought I got up and locked my bedroom door. This morning, when I woke up after only about 3 hours of sleep, I lightly chuckled as my door knob clicked, unlocking itself as I walked to the bathroom. Oh, me and my silly night terrors. And then I went to work, and Virginia Tech happened.
The irony of my crazy premonition really didn't hit me til I was walking home, thinking about those poor kids, trapped in a classroom, with no chance. How they risked nothing by getting up that morning and going to class, and that a year ago I was just like them: a college student with early morning classes, and friends and facebooks. VA Tech is like Rutgers in the sense of it being a large but still incredibly tight knit university. It's hard not to feel a connection to them, and just incredible pity for what they're going through.

It's too depressing to keep talking about it, so just let it be said, though it's probably now gospel: Hokies, we're with you.

-Rachel


No comments: